EPIC is the only public school in Oklahoma that offers each student a Learning Fund. The Learning Fund is an allocation of credit on a student’s account that can be used for learning resources and extracurricular efforts. Each student’s allotment is $1,000 in addition to the high-quality instruction and services they receive from EPIC!
What can the Learning Fund be used to purchase?
All items purchased MUST possess educational merit. After deducting the price of a core curriculum, the allocated funds may be used for supplemental curriculum, extra-curricular activities, and or educational technology.
When can I access the Learning Fund?
Learning Fund availability (outside of purchasing core and supplemental curriculum for the upcoming school year) opens the first day of the scholastic school year and closes on the last day in March the following year. Families may submit vendor invoices up until May 31st, of the scholastic year. This is to include services that may occur during the summer months. These invoices would cover June/July/August classes. For summer month invoices to be recognized and invoiced, the following criteria must be met:
- Students MUST be enrolled for the upcoming school year.
- Students MUST have the available Learning Fund monies required to cover all services rendered (Funds cannot be taken from the upcoming school year).
- Students MAY NOT be in truancy violation.
When I purchase something from the Learning Fund, is it mine to keep?
The short answer is No.
- All items purchased through Learning Fund monies are the property of EPIC Charter Schools.
- Learning Fund items are purchased by EPIC Charter Schools and are then checked out to the students for their use. All non-consumable items must be returned to the school upon graduation, withdraw or any other reason the student’s status does not reflect “enrolled” with EPIC Charter Schools.
- Please note that consumable items, activities, and lessons cannot be returned, for obvious reasons.
What is the process for accessing the Learning Fund?
Requests for items are made through the Parent Portal. Once an order is reviewed, approved, and processed, EPIC Charter Schools will purchase the product/service for the student using their allocated monies, available within their Learning Fund.
What is the difference between a product and a service?
A product is a learning tool such as a book, chemistry set, flashcards, software, hardware, etc…
Service would be an instructional course/lesson, such as music lessons, dance lessons, tutoring, and other extracurricular activities. Please note that the Learning Fund cannot be used to purchase theme parks, museums, or any facility entry/membership fees.
When wanting extracurricular activities paid for with the Learning Fund:
- Check to make sure the funds are available.
- The vendor is an approved vendor with EPIC Charter Schools
- Please request a Purchase Order through the Parent Portal. This provides an allotted monetary hold for a specific monetary amount, to the vendor for upcoming services rendered. It is not considered a payment, but an assurance the funds are available for payment.
Policy and Procedures that the Learning Fund must abide:
- Parents/Teachers CANNOT be reimbursed for any educational expenses.
- EPIC MUST PURCHASE the products or services for the student(s).
- Parents/Teachers CANNOT be paid directly to purchase educational items or for services provided
- Families cannot share amongst students that are not residing under the same Family ID.
- The Learning Fund cannot be appropriated, applied, used, donated – directly or indirectly – for the use of faith-based materials, denomination, sect, church or system of religion or religious belief or teachings (Section II-5 of the Oklahoma Constitution: Article II – Bill of Rights).
- EPIC cannot purchase musical equipment, workout equipment, furniture, and other large items.
- Memberships are not allowed to be paid through the Learning Fund.